Dr. McLeRoy became Dean of Continuing Education, Extension and Summer Session at the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater in 1970. It was with Dr. McLeRoy and his staff that Bands of America worked closely from the first BOA Summer Workshop/Festival (now the Summer Symposium) held at UW-Whitewater in 1975, until the camp's relocation in 1992.
Dr. McLeRoy was a passionate advocate for Bands of America, and a friend and mentor to its leadership, especially to BOA President and CEO Scott McCormick. He took great pride in his eleven-year board association with Bands of America and felt privileged to be chairman for nine years. Bands of America was likewise privileged to have the guidance, counsel and direction of such a man.
Dr. McLeRoy was committed to excellence in education and served for many years as a member of various professional organizations. These included the North Central Conference on Summer Schools (NCCSS), the North American Association for Summer Sessions (NAASS) and the National University Continuing Education Association. Additionally, he believed it was important to be involved with students outside the classroom and served as advisor to various on-campus organizations including Pi Omega Pi, The Navigators and Inter-Varsity Christian Fellowship. His family also served as host to fifteen International students through the International Host Family Program at UW-Whitewater.
Dr. McLeRoy graduated from Freeport High School in 1947 and went on to graduate from Bob Jones University of Greenville, SC in 1952 with a degree in Accounting. Following graduation he entered the US Army and served from 1952 to 1954 at Dugway Proving Ground, Dugway, UT attached to the intelligence office and as chaplain assistant. Following his days in the service, he earned a Masters in Business Education at Northern Illinois University. He taught Business Education and chaired the department at East Leyden HS in Franklin Park, IL for 11 years. In 1966, he was asked to come to the University of Wisconsin, Whitewater as a Professor of Business Education. He received his doctorate from Northern Illinois University in 1968 and in 1970, he became the Dean of Continuing Education, Extension and Summer Session. He retired in 1994.
His association with Christian ministries included efforts that served the local church as well as those that reached around the world. On the civic front, Dr. McLeRoy believed in the community around him and sought to improve that community through his involvement on the Whitewater City Council, the Kiwanis Breakfast club, Rotary International and the Land of Blackhawk United Way.
He took his involvement with organizations with great responsibility and vision and in many cases received awards and honors recognizing his efforts. Some highlights include Pi Epsilon Phi, Literary Society, 1948, the Lyle Maxwell Award, Northern Illinois University, 1974 and the Grambling State University Hall of Fame, 1995.