at the Music for All Summer Symposium, presented by Yamaha
- Ball State University, Muncie, Indiana
- June 24-29, 2013
- Leadership Weekend Experience: June 22-24
Music for All’s concert band camp at the Summer Symposium is for every music student who loves to play. If you are a high school musician who wants to make music at a high level, take a look at the MFA Summer Symposium. Music for All's curriculum provides time with leading conductors and applied faculty and immerses students in hands-on, experiential learning opportunities.
What you’ll learn
A sample concert band student's day includes full band rehearsals, sectionals, master classes, guest artist clinics and more. The Concert Band Division curriculum is designed to challenge high school instrumentalists at all levels. While each ensemble works on a program of music that will raise the bar of individual and ensemble commitment to achievement, the camp is about much more than preparing for the final concert.
Students meet and get to know other students from across the country and spend time with students from a variety of backgrounds and areas of the country who share their love of music-making. Students experience a national faculty, national standards and a safe away-from-home collegiate campus experience. Leadership is the theme that runs throughout the camp curriculum.
2013 Conductors Announced!
|Dr. John Lynch
Director of Bands
University of Georgia
|Dr. Michael Fansler
Director of Bands
Western Illinois University
2013 Concert Band Faculty includes:
Jay Coble, Trumpet, University of South Florida, Tampa Bay Symphony, Yamaha Artist
Elizabeth Crawford, Clarinet, Ball State University
Aryn Day Sweeney, Oboe, Ball State University
Matt Lyon, Tuba/Euphonium, Ball State University
Otis Murphy, Saxophone, Indiana University, Yamaha Artist
John Seidel, Trombone, Ball State University
Shawn Vondran, Assistant Director of Bands, Ball State University
Mihoko Watanabe, Flute, Ball State University
SmartMusic®, the essential practice tool software, will be used for concert band placement in advance of the Symposium. There will also be live sight-reading placements onsite. All concert band participants will receive a complimentary 90-day subscription to SmartMusic®. Learn more about SmartMusic®
Watch a 2012 Summer Symposium webisode featuring Final Peformance Excerpts fron the Concert Band Track
What do you need to bring?
- Your instrument, with your name, address and school marked on the case.
- A fold-up music stand marked with your name, address and school.
- Any necessary supplies or accessories, such as reeds, neck straps, valve oil, etc.
- Comfortable clothes (shorts, jeans & shirts): please note that you will be in air conditioning for the majority of your day.
- CONCERT BLACK for your final performance.
- Girls: long black skirt (below the knee) or slacks are acceptable with a white blouse and black shoes.
- Boys: black pants, white shirt, dark colored tie, black socks and black shoes.