at the Music for All Summer Symposium, presented by Yamaha
The Summer Symposium Middle School/Young Teacher Track is designed to deliver a curriculum that will arm middle school teachers and young music educators with the tools they need to provide their students with a positively life-changing experience. The typical model for middle schools in America is a three-year program (6th, 7th and 8th grade). Unfortunately, three years is also the typical career-span for young music educators. Most recent studies show that America is on the verge of a major shortage of qualified music educators. Through a three-year curriculum, the Middle School/ Young Teacher Track at the Summer Symposium will provide a “hands on” education that will prepare young teachers to thrive, not just survive!
Music for All offers all three course phases of the track – those attending for the first, second, third time or more. Those who attended the previous two middle school tracks can build upon those experiences with the Year 3 offerings, while Year 1 and 2 courses are also offered. The experience will be realistic and taught by experienced and successful practitioners from a range of programs and settings, including small school, low budget, urban and rural situations. Our curriculum will begin with a year-by-year approach, adding content and subject matter each year. Whether you come for one year or more, the information will be invaluable.
In addition to the Middle School/Young Teacher curriculum, your experience includes: Summer Symposium general curriculum
- World class concerts and musical experiences
- Networking with the finest music educators in the country
- Professional development certification from MFA
- Opportunity to register for Graduate Credit through Ball State University. The graduate credit fee and course requirements are different than previous years. Please carefully review the information provided at the link to the BSU website.
Who Should Attend?
- Experienced middle school teachers looking for a fresh approach and new ideas
- Recent graduates and young teachers
- High school teachers looking to create a unified philosophy with their feeder program.
Year 1 “Nuts and Bolts”
The first year curriculum will deal with the nuts and bolts of teaching 6th graders in a middle school setting. In a nutshell, we will fill the gap to teach you what you didn’t learn in college!
Year 2 “Ensemble”
The second year curriculum will focus on the challenges that accompany the ensemble experience. From solo and ensemble contest to taking a band to festival, year two can be a roller coaster ride. We will equip you to make it the ride of a lifetime!
Year 3 “Maximizing The Middle School Experience”
The third year curriculum will focus on both maximizing your student’s middle school experience, as well as helping you to prepare them for the journey to high school.