NEW OPPORTUNITIES IN 2014
Starting in 2014, Music for All will provide world-class educational opportunities for additional bands to perform. The National Concert Band Festival will now include two stages (opportunities) for high school bands. “Featured Bands” on the Honors Stage at Clowes Memorial Hall and“Invited Bands” on the Festival Stage at the new Howard L. Schrott Center for the Performing Arts, both at Butler University.
Read More about the New Festival Opportunites coming in 2014
Read About the Highlights for both Featured and Invited Bands
Download the 2014 Music for All National Festival Application
Requirements for Application
1. Please submit an unedited audio recording on CD-R of 12-20 minutes of applicant ensemble’s performance. Audio recording should not only display the ensemble’s technical proficiency but also demonstrate their musical expression and artistry. Remember, your ensemble’s audition performance is only as good as the quality of the recording. Be sure to submit a high quality, high-fidelity recording.
• There is no required music list, but it is recommended that the music be selected from Grade IV or higher for high school ensembles and Grade III or higher for middle school ensembles.
• THREE conductor’s scores for each selection must be included. (Photocopies may be submitted with written permission from the publisher.)
• Recording must be recorded after November 1, 2012.
• Only a stereo compact disc may be submitted. Suggested recording criteria for audition recording: 1) Directional microphone, not omni microphone; 2) Dynamic microphone, not condenser; 3) Set meters to peak at max +3; 4) Microphones should be 9’ to 10’ behind conductor/ensemble, and at least 10’ above the ensemble.
• Please note that scores will be returned, but recordings will not.
2. Each ensemble applying to perform full performance slots at the Sandy Feldstein National Percussion Festival will be evaluated on their own merit as a unique performing ensemble, and not as part of the concert band ensemble. Concert Band Festival participants may sign up for 12 minute percussion ensemble music performances on a “first-come, first-served” basis without submitting an audition recording. A $900 fee will be added to the package for each additional percussion ensemble performance (subject to space availability).
3. Invitations may be issued to more than one ensemble from one school based on the merit of the audition recording(s). Music for All reserves the right to schedule all Festival performances. Ensembles are required to be present from the “Opening Ceremonies” (1 p.m. Thursday afternoon for high schools, 4 p.m. Thursday evening for middle schools) through the Awards Banquet and the Honors concert on Saturday evening. Ensembles assigned Thursday performances are advised to arrive on Wednesday.
4. In order to encourage multiple ensembles from a school to apply, there is a discounted application fee for multiple ensembles from one school – First ensemble application fee: $250; Second ensemble application fee: $150; Third or more: $100 each. This fee is non-refundable. The fee is designed to offset the costs of evaluators’ time and the evaluation, while offering your program personal input from leading educators.
5. If applying as a Featured Band for the Honors Stage, the director should list two prominent music educators who have worked with or have heard the ensemble during the past year to be contacted as references, if needed. These names should be included on the enclosed application form.
6. Directors must include a listing of the number of students in each grade level/year of graduation (e.g. six sophomores, 10 juniors, etc.). Indicate on the application how many applicants will graduate by June 2013 and what instruments the June 2013 graduates play. All participating students must be registered at the same high school or percussion studio. Students from feeder elementary, junior high and middle schools are also eligible to participate. All performers who contribute to the performance MUST be students. Special guest soloists who are not students are allowed but may not perform on pieces for which they are not the guest soloist(s).
7. The ensemble director and a school official must authorize with their signatures approval of this application, in accordance with Music for All policies. Unless the “Input Only” option is selected, by signing the application, the director and school official acknowledge that if invited to the event, the applying ensemble will participate and perform a concert not to exceed 40 minutes of music, inclusive of ensemble set changes. Furthermore, the signatures of the ensemble director and school official acknowledge acceptance of one of the event packages for the estimated number of students.
8. The ensemble director and school official also acknowledge the existence of the required Familiarization Trip/Site Inspection meeting scheduled for Sunday, Nov. 17, 2013 in Indianapolis and agree to have a director or designated representative attend. The first 25% payment (see payment schedule on “Festival Packages” page) is due by Oct. 15, 2013. If no representative attends the Familiarization Trip, the ensemble’s invitation may be revoked and the first payment received or indicated on the application will be paid or forfeited as a penalty.
9. The application and accompanying forms must be received by June 5, 2013. Because there can be problems in transit, we recommend that you contact the Music for All office in advance and let us know you are sending your application so we can contact you if it is not received. Suggested handling includes registered mail, certified mail, Express Mail, Federal Express or overnight UPS. Send to Music for All, 39 W. Jackson Place, Suite 150, Indianapolis, IN 46225-1010.
10. If accepted, the ensemble’s signed application grants Music for All the right to use in any media the ensemble’s name, likeness, photographs and reproduction of the performance and the ensemble’s members for any purpose including promotion, advertising or otherwise. For purposes of use of these rights, the signed application (on behalf of the ensemble and its members) releases and indemnifies Music for All and its agents from all claims, liabilities and damages which may arise from such use.
11. Music for All secures the permissions to perform all published works and arrangements of copyrighted music that is performed. However, if a custom arrangement is created or a new work or arrangement is commissioned, the participating ensemble must supply to Music for All written permission from the copyright owner to arrange and perform such works at our Festival. Music information forms must be provided to Music for All by Jan. 15, 2014.
12. If an ensemble, after acceptance, plans to utilize a travel agent, that agent must work through Music for All on specifics regarding the ensemble’s itinerary. The invited ensemble agrees to utilize the Music for All Festival Package hotel and meal accommodations from Wednesday night through Saturday night while the ensemble is in Indianapolis. Before any airfare or travel is purchased, the ensemble agrees to give Music for All’s Official Student Travel Partner the opportunity to quote on their travel. If Music for All’s preferred travel partner is able to match or beat another airline or travel provider’s competitive service, fares or rates, the ensemble agrees to utilize the services of the Music for All travel partner.