Download the story of 2012 Recipient: Mr. PJ Littleton, Hillsboro Middle School, Franklin, TN
The Patrick John Hughes Parent/Booster Award annually recognizes the extraordinary commitment, dedication, support and sacrifice of music parents and boosters around the world by shining a spotlight on an individual who exemplifies these qualities. The award is named in honor of Patrick John Hughes, the father of Patrick Henry Hughes. Patrick Henry is a remarkable young man who, despite physical challenges that would seem overwhelming to many, has excelled as a musician and student, singing and playing piano and trumpet with the Louisville Marching and Pep Bands, with the help of his father, who tirelessly maneuvers his son’s wheelchair through the formations with the other 220+ members of the Cardinal Marching Band.
The inspirational Hughes story has been featured on ESPN College Game Day, ABC World News, National Public Radio, Oprah and in Sports Illustrated and People magazine, among others. In 2008, the family was featured as a recipient of ABC’s “Extreme Home Makeover." Patrick Henry Hughes, Patrick John Hughes, and Bryant Stamford are also the authors of the book “I Am Potential – Eight Lessons on Living, Loving, and Reaching Your Dreams."
Nominate the outstanding parent/booster in your life!
All current, active parents, boosters or supporters of any scholastic music education program are eligible for nomination (nominees do not have to be affiliated with Bands of America or Music for All participating bands). Former or inactive parents, boosters and supporters of Bands of America and Music for All participating programs may also be nominated.
- Value of service
- Level of involvement with the music program
- Strength of the letters of support
- Results achieved by nominee
- Power of story to motivate others.
- Creativity of the nomination entry
- Audio/video support materials
Deadline for nominations: September 15, 2013.
Winners will be notified in advance and the award presented during the Bands of America Grand National Championships in November.
- 2012- PJ Littleton, Hillsboro Middle School, Franklin, TN
- 2011 - Tom Barnett, Ben Davis High School, Indianapolis, IN
- 2010 - Charlie Broach, Franklin High School, Franklin, TN
- 2009 - Jim and Ginny Klopfenstein, Morton High School, Morton, IL
- 2008 - Dan Adams, American Fork High School, American Fork, UT