Part of the Music for All National Festival, presented by Yamaha
- March 14-16, 2013
June 29, 2012 (Early Bird Deadline)
September 15, 2012 (Final Deadline)
All audition recordings due by October 1, 2012*
Conductor, 2013 Honor Band of America
The Honor Band of America is one of three national honor ensembles that are part of the Music for All National Festival, along with the Honor Orchestra of America and Jazz Band of America.
All high school band members are encouraged to audition for the Honor Band of America. Part of the Music for All National Festival, presented by Yamaha, the Honor Band will perform in concert, Saturday evening to close the Festival, before a historically sold-out house.
- Opportunity to work under the baton of Jerry F. Junkin, Professor of Instrumental Conducting and Director of Bands, Sarah and Ernest Butler School of Music at the University of Texas at Austin.
- Written evaluation of auditions for all Honor Band of America applicants
- Instrumental master classes with respected professionals
- One year subscription to SmartMusic® [http://www.smartmusic.com/] for selected members
- Honor Band member and family reception and party
- Personalized certificate, patch and exclusive Honor Band of America member lapel pin
- DVD and CD recording of the Honor Band of America Concert and group photograph
- Honor Band of America members are eligible to be nominated for The Revelli Scholarship, a $1,000 scholarship awarded to a Music for All National Festival participating senior intending to study music performance or music education and pursue a career as a music educator
- Membership in an elite family that annually includes only 100 of the most outstanding musicians nationwide
Joseph Alessi was appointed Principal Trombone of the New York Philharmonic in the spring of 1985. He began musical studies in his native California with his father, Joseph Alessi, Sr. As a high school student in San Rafael, California, and was a soloist with the San Francisco Symphony before continuing his musical training at Philadelphia’s Curtis Institute of Music. Prior to joining the Philharmonic, Mr. Alessi was second trombone of The Philadelphia Orchestra for four seasons, and principal trombone of L’Orchestre symphonique de Montreal for one season. In addition, he has performed as guest principal trombonist with the London Symphony Orchestra in Carnegie Hall led by Pierre Boulez.
About the Honor Band of America
Since its inception in 1992, the Honor Band of America has earned a national reputation as one of the nation’s finest student concert honor bands. With the opportunity to rehearse and perform with renowned conductors and world-class guest artists, to premiere new commissioned works for concert band and perform for a “dream audience" of outstanding high school musicians and educators from across the country, the Honor Band of America is a “must" for the finest young musicians. The Honor Band has received international accolades, with a performance at the World Association of Symphonic Bands and Ensembles and concert tour of Europe with Ray Cramer conducting, and a concert tour of Japan with H. Robert Reynolds conducting.
2013 Music for All National Festival • March 14-16
Final Application deadline for the 2013 Honor Ensembles is September 15, 2012
Download 2013 Application Forms and Full Audition Requirements:
- 2013 Application – Honor Band of America
- 2013 Application – Honor Orchestra of America
- 2013 Application – Jazz Band of America
- Deadline for all audition recordings: October 1, 2012
See full audition requirements on the application forms, download at the links above.